16 May 2007

South Island

The best thing about your accommodation also being your transport is that when you have to be on the move at some ungodly hour like 6.45am, you can literally just slip from the bed into the driving seat, stick a few mints in your mouth, drink some water and clear off without all the normal getting ready charade of a normal existence. Perfect.

As I arrived at the port and wind battered the Spaceship, I thanked God I had actually driven all the way to Wellington the night before. God only knows what time I would have been on the road at otherwise.

When I got on board the boat, I was intrigued to see that ferries in New Zealand have all the classic hallmarks of those back home - i.e. being glorified floating tacky seaside resorts, resplendent with amusement arcades, god awful restaurants, a horrible bar and a faint smell of puke. Is it really too much to ask for these vessels to offer edible food? In the 21st Century is the best we can be offered by means of entertainment really a few fucking fruit machines? It was like a Little Chef and a Great Yarmouth pub rolled into one - only this experience cost me $180.

The big, big difference though is that Wellington certainly ain't your average British port. Managing to tear myself away from the temptation of eating in the restaurant, I looked out at the captivating sight that is NZ's capital city from sea. It really does look impressive, nestled at the foot of steep and rolling hills. Arriving in the South Island is no less enjoyable. You can easily run out of superlatives to describe the natural beauty of this place - I think I already have.

After arriving at Picton on the South Island, I headed west to the Abel Tasman National Park. This only took a couple of hours, which was a welcome relief after yesterday. Again the drive took me through some of the most stunning scenery I have ever come across. When I got to Abel Tasman, it was with a tinge of regret that I saw you can do three to five day walks through this coastal park, stopping in campsites or huts en route. I would love to do that, but such is my limited time in NZ I was restricted to an afternoon's walking and a couple of Steinlagers on the beach. This was still fantastic.

I found a lovely campsite in nearby Motueka, which also has plenty of bars and facilities for winding down. An early night was now necessary.

No comments: