13 May 2007

Lurpack

I have to admit that until I decided recently to visit the country, I knew very little about New Zealand.

Lord of the Rings was filmed there, they make great butter, it's meant to be amazingly beautiful, but it's a bit like going back 25 years in time. And that's what Australians say about the place, so actually you better make that about 40 years.

It would have been at best regrettable, and at worst downright fucking wrong, to have come all this way and not seen NZ. So I've taken a week away from being bored senseless at work to drive round what is widely regarded to be the most naturally attractive country on the planet. I am indeed a man of sacrifice.

My first night was in Auckland. I arrived there completely pissed having got to Sydney Airport ludicrously early and ignored my dentist's advice not to drink whilst on anti-biotics. Well, I had gone practically two weeks without a drink...

Auckland is a pleasant but slightly strange place. It is the biggest city in the country, but it's about as busy as a market town. It is eerily quiet. Upon arrival I started to understand why people say New Zealand is in something of a time warp.

The people here are, however, unquestionably very friendly. I ventured out to an Auckland gay bar last night, where I 'met' someone who was very 'friendly'. Double entendres aside, today he took me on a long walk around the city, pointed out places of historical interest (there weren't that many) and then took me up the Auckland Sky Tower - where the picture at the top of this post was taken. I'm sorry, but I doubt very much if this person (name forgotten) ever went to London that anybody there would go to such lengths to make him feel welcome in their country. I know I wouldn't. Apparently, and I make this comment based on heresy, it is typical of New Zealanders to want to show off their country to visitors to find out what they think of it. I am told they know their country is beautiful, but because so many people leave it to live in the UK or Australia, they feel a sense of insecurity. I guess it's a bit like knowing you're good looking but never getting a shag. Or something like that.

Anyway, I have seen enough during my first 24 hours in this country to know I'm going to really enjoy it. Tomorrow I pick up my transport for the week, which with it's bed in the back doubles up as my home, and then I'm off to explore...

No comments: