8 Jun 2007

Always take the weather with you...

Ok, I admit it. Last weekend's warm temperatures led me to wrongly imply that Australia does not go through what you or I would normally classify as winter.

The last couple of days have been horrific here. Wind and rain is battering New South Wales - on a scale I have only witnessed perhaps on a handful of occasions. Five people have been killed in one day, the emergency services are stretched to the limit and it would take a fool to leave their home tonight (just as well I've got fuck all to do, really).

What has been particularly annoying today has been the constant remarks from Australians at work about how I "must be used to this" and how I've "brought the weather" with me. Yes, because every day back home is just one constant battle against gale force winds and torrential rain, with the occasional relief of a nice cup of tea and a rendition of God Save the Queen. Muppets.

Talking of Elizabeth II, it's her birthday this weekend. The only reason I know that is because here in Australia we get Monday off for it. I wouldn't want you to think the weekend turns into some colonial establishment nonsense - it really is just a Bank Holiday with a different name.

This is my last full weekend in Sydney. I would normally like to mark any occasion with a party, but as it's forecast to rain heavily all weekend I may just savour the memories of this city and re-invest the little money I have in new experiences elsewhere on this trip.

No comments: