5 Apr 2007

terminally trashed

I would honestly put drinking in airport terminals among my favourite things to do.

It is an immensely gratifying experience to sit down before a flight and get nicely lubricated. Part of it is obviously the excitement of going wherever I am going. Another aspect is that all the planning, preparation and days of waiting are now over - all that stands between me and that plane is as many drinks as I can possibly consume before they close the gate.

There is also something exhilarating about the atmosphere in an airport bar. Not because the bars themselves are ever anything to write home about, but because you will struggle to find a similar environment in any other aspect of life where so many people are so happy. Some will be heading off for the trip of a life time, others a weekend away, and so on. All united in the desire to have a few liveners before taking off. Some airports even have bars next to the departure gate, which affords the opportunity to do some last ditch drinking before the tedium of getting on board, finding out you're estimated take off time is 45 minutes later than anticipated and having to sit through a safety demonstration that is utterly pointless.

I once arrived at Gatwick Airport a good three hours before a flight to Berlin and nearly missed it because I was so engrossed in departure lounge boozing (It was the start of a day of disasters. When we actually got to Berlin we boarded the wrong train and nearly ended up in Poland instead of the city centre. A grand total of ten hours passed between getting to Gatwick and arriving at our hostel, which we didn't stay at because it transpired we had to share a room with an extremely rude and unpleasant local who was also a raving homosexual).

Anyway, back to Australia. I've arrived here at the domestic airport a sociable two hours before take off to Melbourne (this PC is in a bar, I hasten to add). It is very busy, but mind you it's 5.30pm on the Thursday before Easter. As I look around this bar, I can see plenty of people getting a quick one in and having a joke with friends. They will all be heading to different parts of this vast country to enjoy the long weekend. Like I said, I just find this atmosphere pleasant. I have no desire to hang out in airports. It's a nice feeling, that's all.

No comments: