4 Apr 2007

convert me

Ask anybody who has lived in a different country for a considerable period of time and the issue of when you stop converting the cost of everything into your own currency will be familiar.

It's something that takes a while. When you initially arrive somewhere foreign, your natural self defence mechanism kicks in and whatever it is you buy - be it food, drink or a cab ride - you always convert the price back into pounds to reassure yourself daylight robbery isn't taking place.

I've adjusted to Australian currency now (2.4 dollars to the pound) and hardly ever need to use the pre-programmed converter I've got on my phone. Yes, I know, 2.4 to 1 is not exactly rocket science, but try doing it with a large bar round in your first week when you're shit faced, ok?!

It says a lot about my generally irresponsible attitude to money as to what I choose to convert in my mind now. If I clear $1,000 a week in wages, this doesn't get converted into pounds. Maybe it's the words 'thousand' and 'week' in the same sentence, actually of course it is, that subconsciously stops that from happening. At the other end of the scale if I'm in a Bottle Shop (Aussie for Offie) and see a nice looking White going for $15, that gets converted. Only 6 pounds! Bargain! Might as well get a couple of them!

I adopt a similar attitude towards eating here. Sydney is awash with fantastic South East Asian food outlets - obviously a direct consequence of huge amounts of recent immigration - and this type of grub has developed into my favourite. Why bother cooking or taking sandwiches to work when you can get a freshly cooked, terrific meal for $6 (less than 2.50)?
Why bother cooking, either, when the kitchen ends up like it does in the photo above after you and your flat mate bother to do so for the first time in ages? And we have a dishwasher...

I have generally managed to stay within budget since I started work in Sydney. I am finding it difficult to save though, which would be useful so I can travel for longer towards the end of my trip. Little things like tomorrow's expedition don't help the finances either - I'm off to Melbourne for Easter.

Can't wait.

No comments: