27 Feb 2007

Every loser wins

Well, that has to be perhaps one of the shortest stays in a new home on record. After plumping for a house with a nice garden and pretending that I would somehow we satisfied with a surburban lifestyle, I have realised this is utter bollocks and will be moving into a flat in the city - just over a week after moving in (and for most of that I wasn't even there).

I guess I was mindful of what annoyed me so much in London - the full-on, work/party lifestyle that I could never get out of. Obviously I felt a nice house still accessible to the city was the best option. Truth be told, it isn't that accessible really. Front door to work/bar is 45-50 minutes...

Anyway, here's how I broke it to my house mates (for all of a week). They were, thankfully, fine about it all. Maybe they'd had enough of me already too...!

---------- Forwarded message ----------From: Matt Nicholls Date: 26-Feb-2007 16:52Subject: confession timeTo: Joshua Booyens Hiya Josh

Hope your Monday back at work was ok - it was my first day working for five weeks, so imagine how I felt!

Anyway, I hope you get this e-mail before you leave for the day as I wanted to explain something in depth before having to face you guys and explain it. I'm very, very sorry about this, but I am going to move out of the house before the end of the week. I honestly didn't expect things to work out like this. In order to explain why this has happened, I need to put the decision in context...

Two weekends ago I promised myself I would make a decision on which house share to go for based on the six places I had viewed. I was anxious to move out of hotels and get the matter sorted out - not least because at this stage I didn't have a job and wanted some kind of security.

My first choice was an apartment in Potts Point. It was my first choice because not only was it a great home, it was ten minutes from the city, Oxford Street and everything else. I could walk to wherever I wanted to be, more or less. In my mind it was my first choice when I came to meet you and Joel that Saturday in Newtown, but I still wanted to meet you guys before deciding finally.

I'm not just saying this, but you guys were by far and away the soundest people I had met to share with. The house also sounded great (it is!) and so I was genuinely very interested.

The next day I still had not heard back from the guy in Potts Point as he was still showing it to other people. It was also the day before my job interview, and I guess I was a bit on edge. I craved the stability that would come from a home and a job so I could relax and enjoy life living in Sydney. So, in the evening I rang you and accepted the room.

The next day after my interview, I had a message from the guy in Potts Point - the room in his apartment was mine if I wanted it. For the rest of the day I went round and round in my head about what to do. The place in Potts Point was my first choice, but I had accepted the room in Chatswood and I didn't want to go back on my word. This sounds silly now, but I really didn't want to let you guys down after saying yes. I was also convincing myself that Chatswood was the best option, that it would give me the space and environment to chill out away from city life that I so craved in London.

When I moved into the house, my emotions were mixed. The place is absolutely amazing, but I just didn't feel comfortable in Chatswood itself. It just isn't 'me'.

I should stress that there is no problem whatsoever with you, Joel and Margo. None at all. I do feel, however, that a more 'settled' person would be better for you to live with. I don't know how long I'm going to be in Australia - I certainly can't afford to start buying lots of furniture that I would ahve to leave behind when I do eventually go. This may sound convenient, but i just feel it would be better for you guys to have somebody there who could make a better contribution towards making it a home.

The time I spent in Byron gave me the opportunity to make the decision. By co-incidence, I received a text message from the guy in Potts Point on Friday asking how I was getting on. I mentioned that I felt Chatswood was not for me and that I had made a mistake. He replied that the room at his place was still available. We met for a drink yesterday, talked about it, and I agreed to move in.

I am so very, very sorry to have mucked you around like this. It goes without saying that I should have accepted the Potts Point apartment before moving my stuff into your place. I hope you appreciate that one of the reasons I didn't was because I was reluctant to let you guys down - even though I have now ended up doing precisely that.

I can't afford to spend the reminder of my time in Sydney regretting things - which is what I would have done every day I walked up the hill to Chatswood station and stood on a crammed train into the city, or every time I had to get a cab home from a night out. All the time I would have remembered that I could have been living within walking distance of everything had I not made the decision to live in Chatswood.

Anyway, I will doubtless discuss all of this further when I get home later. It goes without saying i will do anyhing I can to help you find a replacement.

Matt

Time to pack my things up again...

No comments: