25 Feb 2007

Back to life, back to reality...

Pictures like the one above are now officially a thing of the past. For at least the next few months. Bugger.

Yes, after five whole weeks - five glorious weeks - of not working, and not really doing anything of any note, it has to end. Tomorrow (Monday) I start work with the NSW Fire Brigade press office. I have my own tax code, employee number and all the other mundane crap associated with having to work. The holiday is over. I am no longer a tourist in Sydney. I have a home here, a job, a bank account etc etc etc...

It would be out of character for me to not whinge about having to work. Truth be told, I made the decision to make this trip more of a living abroad - as opposed to travelling abroad - experience. I am intrigued about what will confront me when I start work here tomorrow, how I will feel on a day to day basis - how that will compare to back home, how it will compare to when I first got to Australia a month ago...

Right. Tonight I will be sensible and prepare myself for tomorrow. Who knows what will happen if this job goes well? Time to iron the shirt and trousers (hopefully within a few weeks I can dispense with these) and remind myself not to burp in the office or use four letter swear words.

Oh, and best not to think too much about the fact you're about to move out of the house you've just moved into, and how this may upset the people you're living with. Let's leave that until tomorrow...

No comments: