10 Jul 2007

There has always been something that has troubled me about Americans.

And, no, I'm not talking about their fondness for invading countries for private profit, or for inflicting Starbucks on the rest of the world. I want to know why they insist on calling the toilet a 'rest room'. Can anybody possibly provide me with a logical explanation for this? When was the last time you heard somebody say they were going to get 40 winks and have a lie down in the urinal? There are many things a toilet area can be used for, but I would like to say categorically that 'resting' is not one of them. I would therefore respectfully ask the Americans to stop abusing the English language and refer to the place they go to shit, piss, take drugs, have sex or whatever in a way that accurately describes its function. Thanks.

Sunday was an improvement on Saturday - I actually made it out of bed by 3pm. I ventured up to the North Beach area of the city, which has a fantastic Italian quarter. After a lovely meal of pasta, olives, bread and Merlot, I headed back to the hotel determined to get an early night and resist the temptation of another visit to this city's numerous attractions. A few hours later I was in a club.

Bugger.

No comments: