27 Jun 2007

shatpackers

It's not very often that when I ask for something, and somebody refuses my request, that I feel a sense of relief and happiness.

But that is precisely how I felt when I asked to extend my stay at Chilli's Backpackers in Darwin. My room had a bed in it and nothing else but a sink - which was handy, admittedly, for having a piss in the middle of the night. It was probably the most soulless place I have ever slept in my entire life, but it was very cheap. You can't argue with the equivalent of 20 quid a night for your own room, I told myself - hence my request to stay.

This is peak season in Darwin, though, and the budget accommodation is in high demand. All that I could be offered was a bunk bed in an 18-bed dorm, which frankly was a prospect I found about as appealing as buggering a crocodile. I don't mind sharing with friends, nor do I mind that much sharing four bed dorms. But I draw the line at sleeping with 18 backpackers, snoring and farting their way through the night.

The lack of any private hostel rooms available in Darwin 'forced' me one more rung up the ladder and into a budget hotel. When I checked into my room, at a rough cost of 45 pounds a night, I was confronted with facilities that were probably a tier below what you would expect to find in an average Travelodge. I felt like I'd walked into the imperial suite of the Ritz.

Backpacker facilities are a bit like being back at university. On the one hand, everything is cheap - particularly the beer - most people are friendly and there is a genuinely happy atmosphere. On the other hand, they are noisy, a lot of people are twats and there is always the fear when using the shower in the morning that somebody has puked up in it the night before.

In other words, it is nice to be staying in a hotel rather than a hostel for a few days.

Darwin was lovely and hot again today. The above picture is of the harbour, where you will notice there is practically no human activity at all. This is because of box jellyfish - even though it is technically 'off season' for their presence in Darwin's waters, still nobody takes the chance and swims. Can't say I blame them in all honesty.

No comments: