8 Mar 2007

work/life balance

I've posted enough nice pictures of Sydney, so here's one of the floor in a bar during Mardi Gras.

Anyway, anyway, I am nearly two weeks into my 'normal' life of working here. It is all going pretty well I guess. The job pays enough for me to pay the bills and enjoy myself, and it is not particularly difficult or stressful. I did start to yearn in my first few days for the challenge I get from working in the UK, but that soon faded away.

Why have any hassle? I turn up at 9. I dress smartly. I do my work. I leave at 5. I forget about it and enjoy life. Easy.

It's strange, but I've spent so many years frowning at people who have jobs like this. I'm used to leading my worklife in a very similar way to the way I lead my social life - unpredictably, challenging convention, having great days and awful days, being consumed by the intensity of it all. Giving everything one day, feeling drained the next. Impressing one day, disappointing the next.

Time will tell which I prefer, but I suppose I should explain why I've traditionally been down on people who run out the door at 4.59 and 59 seconds. It's because I've been lucky enough to either work in jobs which I find interesting, or work for organisations where I consider there to be some actual worthwhile meaning attached to me being in the office. I gave a lot of my life, energy and emotion during my three years at the Communication Workers Union because I was always acutely aware that what I did ultimately - even in the tiniest way - could actually help improve the lives of other people.

Of course, I am rather over-playing things. The people who ran out the door at 5 probably weren't as hungover as me in the morning, and quite possibly just managed to do their bit for the class struggle in their contracted hours...

What I am trying to say in my usual long winded way is that although I don't have the same passion in this job, I do have a life. I can do stuff I enjoy instead of heading to the boozer to wash the stress away. Tonight I've read a lot, typed this, had some food and I feel good. Normally I would be leaving work late, eating crap, and feeling tired.

I'm looking forward to the next few months working here. Not so much for what I'll be doing, but for the perspective it will give me when I return...

No comments: