26 Mar 2007

Sweet 21

The view as you come out of my front door

Well, the shittest election in the history of democracy is over and - as predicted - Labor comfortably wins a fourth term in office in New South Wales.

The election actually turns out to be even more boring than I had anticipated. The Liberals fail to win a single seat off Labor - not even one! - and so the 2007 result ends up being virtually identical to the one in 2003. I'm not complaining about the result, it would just have been nice to have a bit more entertainment...

On Sunday I went to a birthday party in Marrickville, a suburb in Sydney's inner west - the most alternative, laid back and almost Camden-esque part of the city. Everyone there is either gay, a trade unionist or Labor Party activist (most are all three) and so the election is discussed at some length. The overall feeling is one of relief that the "Liberal scum" have not got in. Not that they ever do. This was the 21st consecutive victory in just under ten years that the Australian Labor Party has enjoyed over the right wing Liberal Party in state elections across the country. The twenty first on the trot.

That, almost incredibly, is not nearly enough to satisfy Labor supporters. It is the Federal Government they crave - and elections to it are expected within six months. Victory in that would give Labor control of every tier of government in Australia for the first time in the country's history.

As the beer flows at the party and politics continues to be the main topic of conversation, not for the first time during my stay in Australia I find myself asked about Anthony Charles Lynton Blair. The fucker does seem to be genuinely liked here! Or, at least, revered.

"I know if I was British and a Labour supporter I'd be pissed off about Iraq, but you can't argue with what he's done since in office," is the general gist.

You could debate forever any long-serving PM's record in office, so I opt to summarise (not least cos I had been drinking heavily)...

"Well, in lots of respects Blair has been a disappointment. But one thing I will always be grateful for is the 1997 election."

Before I can go on to explain that this was the historic occasion when Labour ended 18 years of Tory rule and how pissed I got to celebrate it, I am interrupted by a flurry of Australian recollections from that night...

"Oh, that election was fucking fantastic! I've downloaded Portillo losing off youtube!"

"The most gratifying election there has ever been"

"Simply the best. The only party that will better it will be after Thatcher's death"

All of the above are genuine comments from Australians. I don't know about you, but I don't recall celebrating many of their election results!

Most of the political chat takes place during cigarette breaks whilst in the party itself episodes of Little Britain, the Catherine Tait show and other Brit comedies are played. I find it strange, although also comfortable, to be on the other side of the world and yet in such culturally similar surroundings. How could any British person get homesick at this kind of party?!!

No comments: