28 Jan 2007

Eternal youth

It's baking hot today and so I catch the ferry to Manly beach (miles out of Sydney, but supposed to be one of THE places to live round here). Catching a ferry out of Sydney Harbour couldn't bore somebody who had done it 5000 times, I'm sure. It is truly amazing. The views are on a par with anything I have ever seen in my life, and it merely serves to underline the feeling of happiness I have felt ever since I arrived. The journey to Manly takes no time at all, and it is stunningly beautiful. However, it only takes an afternoon there for me to realise that - gorgeous though it is - I can't live there. It has a nice selection of pubs and restaurants, the beach is lovely and it's nice and quiet. But perhaps too quiet. Also, if I wanted to go clubbing - perish the thought - a cab back here would cost an utter fortune. I like the place lots, but it seems like somewhere I would enjoy on a Sunday rather than want to call home. Plus, a hangover on a ferry to work in the morning would be seriously bad news. My afternoon was brightened up by a very similar encounter to the night before (no chuckling at the back please). Again I was asked for ID entering a pub - that's twice in less than 24 hours. I like Australians.

No comments: